The clock is ticking! You have probably received your ballot for the union election for adjunct faculty at Manhattanville College. Just to remind you: Your completed ballot must be mailed back in time to be received (not postmarked, but received) at the Labor Board by Wednesday, March 2nd. Ballots will be counted at 10am on Thursday, March 3rd at he Labor Board offices in lower Manhattan. Call the Union office (212-989-3470) for directions if you'd like to attend the vote count. Additionally, if you have not received your ballot yet, please call the Union office and we will get in touch with the Labor Board to make sure they send you out a duplicate ballot.
The election, of course, is just the first step in this process and although we will be devoting significant time in the next few weeks to assuring that we have the highest voter turnout possible, we also want to start thinking ahead to when negotiations begin for the first contract for Manhattanville adjunct faculty and tutors.
After the election there will be a call for volunteers to serve on the Bargaining Committee for the new union. With our assistance, the Bargaining Committee will prepare an initial set of proposals to present to the College's administration. It is important that these proposals be as complete and thoughtful as we can make them and that they address the priorities of the greatest number of adjunct faculty and tutors possible. Of course, from the hundreds of conversations we have had with Mville adjunct faculty and tutors we already have some sense of the benefits and improvements that are important to many of you. However, to enable the future Bargaining Committee to do the most thorough job possible in preparing bargaining proposals, we are asking each of you to take some time now to complete this survey.
Please print out and return your completed survey to us at Union of Adjunct Faculty at Manhattanville/ NYSUT 55 Christopher St., 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10014.
Please tell us how important the following issues are to you:
Wages and Other Compensation
1. Raising the minimum salary: ___more important ___somewhat important ___less important
2. Receiving across-the-board annual salary increases: ___more ___somewhat ___less
3. Receiving higher pay after a set number of semesters of teaching: ___more ___somewhat ___less
4. Paid office hours: ___more ___somewhat ___less
5. Employer contributions to TIAA-CREF retirement account: ___more ___somewhat ___less
6. Comments on Wages and Compensation_____________________________________________________________________
Professional Tools/Development and Administrative Support
7. Class size limits: ___more important ___somewhat important ___less important
8. Standardization of class minima (i.e., number of students needed for class to run): ___more ___somewhat ___less
9. Timely notification of re-appointment/course cancellation: ___more ___somewhat ___less
10. Funding for attendance at workshops/conferences: ___more ___somewhat ___less
11. Tuition remission (at Manhattanville or elsewhere): ___more ___somewhat ___less
12. Office space: ___more ___somewhat ___less
13. Storage space: ___more ___somewhat ___less
14. Do you have access to the following at Manhattanville? (Check all that apply)
___Shared office space ___Shared telephone line ___Voicemail ___Shared computer ___Photocopier
___White board supplies ___Locked file drawer___Shelf space ___Basic office supplies
15. Comments on Professional Tools/Development and Administrative Support: _________________________________________
16. Multi-year appointments: ____more important ____somewhat important ____less important
17. Grievance procedure to resolve disputes with administration and access to binding arbitration through a neutral, third party arbitrator if necessary?
___more ___somewhat ___less
18. Comments on Job Security______________________________________________________________________________
19. College subsidized health insurance: ___more important ___somewhat important ___less important
20. Access to group rates: ___more ___somewhat ___less
21. College subsidized health insurance for family members: ___more ___somewhat ___less
22. Please mark an X next to any of the following statements that apply to you:
*I have health care coverage through Manhattanville College ____
*I have affordable health insurance through another employer ____
*I have affordable health insurance through a spouse/partner/parent ___
*I am covered by Medicare____
*I have affordable health insurance through some other source____
*I do not have affordable health insurance ____
23. Comments on Health Insurance ___________________________________________________________________________
24. Approximately how many hours per week do you spend preparing (researching, writing lectures, grading papers, etc.) for each course you teach?____
25. Approximately how many hours per week do you spend interacting with your students outside the classroom? (emailing, phoning, meeting in person) ____
26. How many years have you taught at Manhattanville? ____
27. Have you received any salary increases during your time at Manhattanville (please detail)
28. Do you teach part-time at another college or university besides Manhattanville ? _______
29. If you answered YES to #28, where else do you teach? _____________________
29a. If you answered YES to #28 how does your Manhattanville pay compare to those other jobs?
30. Would you be interested in a fulltime teaching job at Manhattanville if one were available?
We have tried to make our questions and categories of questions as thorough and broad as possible. Did we miss something? Please let us know below. Also feel free to add any additional comments, observations, or questions you may have. Please feel free to include additional sheets if you need to (either for space purposes or if it is easier for you to use a computer).
Daytime Phone ____________________ Evening Phone ___________________
E-Mail Address _________________________________________________________
Would you be interested in serving on the Bargaining Team? ___________
click here to return to the UAFTAM home page
Union of Adjunct Faculty and Tutors at Manhattanville / NYSUT / AFT / NEA / AFL-CIO